Murphy is an enemy from Streets of Rage 4.
Murphy is a police officer wearing a riot helmet and a kevlar vest with shoulder pads. They utilize a wrist-mounted shield on one hand and a melee weapon the other, usually a nightstick, but some variants have a taser instead.
Before engaging in a fight, they will activate their energy shields that allows them to deflect attacks until it shatters. The shield will regenerate if he's not attacked for a while, and he will activate it again as soon as possible.
When holding a weapon and with their shields up, they will walk towards their opponent and whack them with it. Unlike Barney, Murphy won't try to pick up his weapon if dropped, resorting in using a single punch. If the shield is activated, but doesn't have a weapon in hand, he'll try to bash their opponents with the shield, causing knockback only.
Like other police force members, they will fight any Syndicate members on sight.
- Stage 11 introduces a Syndicate counterpart called Dunphy, Murphy's that work directly for them. This stage also features beige variants named Sand that wield tasers instead of nightsticks.
- Their design closely bares a resemblance to the Officer that helped Axel, Blaze, and Adam in the first game.
- He is named after the same character from the comic adaptation.
- He serves as Estel's fire support during the 1st fight, and is the officer (possibly the very same one who provided fire support for her) that hands Mr. Y a rocket launcher in Stage 7's end scene.
- They are absent in Stage 7 despite being part of the Police faction.